Aquallegro is a great way to improve your musical ability. It contains quizzes on various aspects of music, as well as detailed help files with tips and mnemonics. All of the quizzes are scored while in progress, so the user continuously knows how well they're doing, and it is easy to customize Aquallegro so it works the way you want it to. It also contains Administrative features for teachers, making it an excellent tool in any music program.
Aquallegro is perfect for the comprehensive music student or just for the curious that want to hone their musical skills. With a price of $0, how could one ask for more?
Aquallegro recieved a 3 and a half mouse rating in the November 2004 issue of Macworld magazine.
"If you want to learn music theory, Aquallegro can function as your personal deck of aural flash cards."
Many thanks to Marc Dirlewanger for donating a French localization that you can download here.
Released on 2009-12-29.
- Added a "Require octave" option in Aural Skills - Note Names
- Fixed a bug that could cause confusing messages to appear in Aural Skills - Note Names
- Fixed a bug that prevented users from setting a preference
- In Aural Skills - Solfege, reluctantly added an option for la-based minor
Released on 2009-12-24.
- The Aural Skills - Note Names module now has checkboxes for each pitch.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for the "Play" buttons in Aural Skills quizzes
- Added choice of "either" for initial plays harmonic/melodic
- Aquallegro now counts the initial play of an Aural Skills quiz
- Added more flexibility in tempo max/min for tempo module
- Added more flexible options for typing answers in the Notation - Scales quiz
- Ionian and Aeolian now say "(Major)" and "(Minor)" even in the actual quiz windows
- Average time now only changes after a question is answered
- Accidentals are now used in the Aural Skills - Note Names module
- Added choice of infinite for number of guesses allowed
- Times are now accurate to the nearest tenth of a second
- Fixed a bug that could cause the administrative password not to update when changed
- Improved Preferences interface
- Chords played harmonically are now twice as long
- Fixed a bug in Keyboard - Notes which caused a very annoying intermittent drawing error.
- Fixed a bug in Aural Skills - Note Names which might have caused answers to be incorrectly scored.
Released on 2007-10-22.
- Aural Skills - Solfege: Modes no longer change between playings, even if 'Keep each question in one key' is unchecked
- Aural Skills - Chords: Fixed a bug which could cause crashes with some inversion choices
- Notation - Intervals: Fixed a bug which could cause accidentals to display incorrectly
- Aural Skills - Solfege: Fixed a bug which could cause correct answers of 'ti' to be marked incorrect if 'allow nondiatonic notes' is checked
Released on 2007-08-23.
- Added Aural Skills - Tempos module
- Aural Skills - Chords: Added 9th chords, improved interface
- Aural Skills - Chords: Extended chords now use correct jazz voicings
- Aural Skills - Scales: Added Blues and Arabic, improved interface
- Aural Skills - Note Names: Added support for MIDI keyboards
- Notation - Intervals: Improved answer parsing
- Notation - Scales: Fixed a serious bug for theoretical scales
- Aural Skills - Solfege: Fixed incorrect terminology in the setup window
- Improved help files
- Rewrote MIDI code for better performance and to accommodate improvements
- Rewrote question code to accommodate future improvements
- Aquallegro now uses the Mersenne Twister to generate random numbers; questions are much more random
- Improved preferences layout for all modules
- Added two decimal points to average answer time
- Much better experience for first-time users
- Improved MIDI listening
- Fixed a small reviewing bug
- Improved file handling
- Fixed a menu order issue
Released on 2006-12-31.
- Added Notation - Terms module
- Aural Skills - Solfege module now uses proper voice leading when establishing key
- Notation - Intervals: fixed a bug that made it impossible to quiz on only perfect, major, and minor intervals
- Aural Skills - Note Names: added option to play random notes between questions
- Added ability to answer quizzes using a numeric keypad
- Added module icons to 'Go to Module' and 'Start Quiz' menus
- Added ability to use the 'Go to Module' and 'Start Quiz' toolbar items when in a menu
Released on 2006-10-31.
- Completely new scoring interface
- Added timed questions and related options (including logging)
- Added option to review a question after knowing the answer
- Added Notation - Intervals module
- Added a 'Practice' button in addition to the Help button, so the practice windows can be opened individually
- Rewrote all engraving for better performance
- Improved loading times
- Aural Skills - Tuning: fixed a grammar error
Released on 2006-09-30.
- Aural Skills - Tuning: rewrote entire interface for more simplicity
- Aural Skills - Tuning: added a "Use just intonation" option
- Improved various help sections
- Notation - Beats: fixed a minor bug with the help window
Released on 2006-09-19.
- Aural Skills - Intervals: Intervals in the quiz can now be played upwards or downwards (and in the help window, as well)
- Added a little more information in the help for Aural Skills - Intervals
- Aural Skills - Tuning: You can now tune notes to intervals other than a perfect unison
- Fixed a bug in Aural Skills - Tuning that would cause questions to be counted correct, even if the number of guesses was over the limit
- Fixed a bug in Aural Skills - Tuning that would cause the "Correct" window not to show up
- Fixed a bug in Aural Skills - Tuning that would cause answers to be unfairly marked incorrect
Released on 2006-06-09.
- Added a Notation - Solfege module
- Added a 49-key keyboard window
- Fixed a bug in Notation - Scales that could cause answers of Aeolian (Minor) to be mistakenly marked incorrect
- Made minor changes to help
Released on 2006-06-03.Aquallegro 4.0 is a rewrite from the ground up. It contains almost too many new features to list, but I'll give it a shot!
- New, easy-to-use interface
- More customization possible
- Accepts MIDI input
- New Administrative features for teachers
- New quizzes, including scales, solfege, and tuning
- Now runs natively on Intel processors
Released on 2004-01-24.Version 3.0 is significantly old, and is not recommended unless your computer can't handle versions 4.0 and later. This is the version to download if you aren't using Mac OS X v10.4 or later. Please note that it is no longer supported. Download .zip of version 3.0 (This is not the latest version.)